This is my first go at quick takes... since Musikfest starts tonight, I think I'll focus on 7 quick takes of the festival:
1. Musikfest started in 1984 with 6 stages.
2. For many years, the highest point (elevation wise) of the festival was Familienplatz which was located at the top of the Broad Street Walk. (The road has since been reopened and this platz has retired.)
3. The "big name" groups used to be presented at Kunzplatz which was located where Moravian College's new Hurd Campus Residence is being built. These concerts were known to draw crowds that would force the closure of Lehigh Street. The big names have since been moved to "River Place" on Sand Island.
4. Festplatz was the center of polka music at the festival until a few years ago... now it features a mix of music that incorporates only some polka. Each year a German band (from Germany) would be hosted and perform at various times throughout the festival.
5. The Star of Bethlehem which sits high atop South Mountain can be seen from most parts of the festival grounds. The star stands 81 feet tall and is illuminated 250 50-watt light bulbs.
6. I remember when the Musikfest Office overlooked Liederplatz from its back door. It later moved to a location on Broad Street and is now located at the Banana Factory on the South Side.
7. This year's Musikfest runs from July 31st - August 9th... you should definitely come!!!